The integrated Merlin system networks the technical services with all of the patron services that streamline the transactions of resources shared among Merlin libraries. Merlin provides users with a range of interactive self-service options to maximum user satisfaction with minimal staff effort. For example, patrons can be automatically notified when items they request online to be delivered to a library of choice are ready to pick up. Patron self checkout service is also available to libraries through the Express Lane client.
Merlin training guides, links, and news can be accessed in the Patron Services side menu with the staff login. The following programs are included in Patron Services:
- Sierra Circulation is used for circulation transactions, holds, notices, fines, and patron registration.
- Offline Circulation functions as a backup when the Circulation client isn't available.
- Express Lane is an optional patron self-checkout client
- The Merlin Catalog - The resources of 31 libraries are displayed in one online catalog for patrons to browse and request from their library account. Merlin can also be used to renew materials; create lists; save a history of checkouts, save preferred searches, and to access databases and digital media. Merlin: My Electronic Resource Library Information Network!
- Mobile Merlin is a custom display of the Merlin catalog formatted for mobile devices.
- Electronic Resources for patrons include not only library catalogs, but also library databases as well as resources covering both health and workforce development topics.